Saturday, June 2, 2012

Culture Shock: My First Impressions


I've officially been in Singapore for 5 days and have already seen so much! I am constantly feeling torn between needing to study and sleep and wanting to go see all of the amazing sights Singapore has to offer. Like I was warned, Singapore is a very westernized city. However, there are some major differences between this large city and the cities and people of the United States. Here are some of the major differences this far:


  • It is so hot and humid! I feel like I am living in a tropical rainforest, and I kind of am. Everything in my room is constantly damp (gross, I know)
  • Food is super cheap is you eat at the food courts, which are really nice and not like American food courts at all. I regularly eat lunch and dinner for under S$4 at nice "hawker center"/food court place where you can choose from a variety of Asian dishes at different stations. There is even a "western" station where you can get fish and chips, and pizza!
  • Restaurant food is super expensive! I ate at a lebanese place where the prices were S$22 per entree! I have yet to find the in between.
  • American Brand toiletries are BEYOND expensive. Pantene shampoo is S$10 and Revlon Lipstick is S$15! Sunscreen is the worst though, your typical Neutrogena spray sunscreen is S$25 a can!!! Good thing I brought exorbitant amounts of sunscreen with me.
  • Southern hospitality definite does not exist in Singapore! The people are by no means rude, but there is a mindset of being afraid to loose, known as "kiasu". People do not wait for those exiting (or "alighting" as they in Singapore) to get out of the Subway car before entering. It is so weird! They are literally so afraid of getting left behind that they get into the subway car before people even have chance to exit! Now obviously not everyone does this. But the mindset is evident throughout Singapore.
  • You have probably heard that Singapore is very clean, and this is definitely true. You get fined S$5000 for eating on the subway or in the station! There is not very much littering, but I have seen people picking up litter on the streets as a profession.


There are many other differences that I notice everyday. However, overall Singapore is a very livable place for a western English speaker. There are obvious barriers with culture and language, but most people know enough English to understand what I am talking about when I order food (whether I have any idea what I am ordering is another story) or am looking to get back to campus in a taxi. Singapore itself is so multicultural, I think people are used to a few barriers here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment