Saturday, June 2, 2012

Arab Street


Singapore is about as multicultural as a country can get, and earlier this week I checked out another new part of town: Arab Street. Arab Street is home to the the islands Muslim population, and was really, really cool! I think it was so amazing because it was something I had never experienced before. You can find chinatowns all over the United States, but I this Arab area was like something out of the movies. The first thing we saw upon turning down the street was the Sultan Mosque.



We weren't allowed inside, but as you can see, the outside is gorgeous! It was built using contributions form the local muslim communities, such as glass bottles for the windows. Next we walked along the main road, and I was in shopping heaven!


There were stalls upon shops upon shops of scarves, fabrics, jewelry, perfumes, and more! I seriously wanted to buy every pashmina I saw. It helps that everything is super cheap! I didn't buy anything, but I plan on going back for scarfs and possibly for some custom perfumes. 



To finish off the afternoon we ate dinner at an Arab restaurant called Zam Zam. I ordered beef Murtabak and Ginger tea. Both were new to me and both were delicious!! I guess it is customary in Arab cultures to eat cucumbers with ketchup? They brought it too our table and I was really skeptical, but it wasn't bad. I couldn't really get over the fact that I was eating cucumbers with ketchup though, so I only had one.


No comments:

Post a Comment