Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thai Massage


After our group trip to UNESCO, Sara Bush, Brenna, Leeann and I went to try out some traditional Thai massage. We took the Skytrain to Asoke and spent a couple minutes trying to follow the confusing Thai version of Google Maps before we found Healthland Spa. My first impression was “There is no way these massages can be only $15 USD, this place looks so nice!”. It was a gorgeous multi-story white colonial looking building with its own parking area (a luxury in the city). Upon entering, I was even more impressed; it reminded me of the nice spa I had been to in Southlake. We were informed that there was a one hour wait, and decided to stick it out on the comfy couches on the lobby. I got some rose water and tried to ignore my extreme hunger. Luckily, we got called in for my massage in no time! A massage therapist had us sit and take off our shoes; she provided us with little slippers to wear. Then she took us up to our massage room on the 6th floor (yes, that means 6 floors of massages). We got funny little silk outfits to change into and then laid down on our comfy mattresses on the floor before the massage therapists came in. 
I can safely say it was nothing like any massage I have gotten in the states. She started off with my legs and feet while I was lying on my stomach. Then she moved to my arms and my back. After a short break, I flipped over and laid in her lap, while she worked on my face neck and shoulders. Last but not least she did all these weird stretches with me. Some people equated the whole process to having someone do yoga for you. It took two hours total. I felt like she was using a foam roller on my muscles for much of the session, but it still felt amazing. Also, Thai masseuses don’t use any oil, just their bar hands. She massaged every part of my body that could possibly be massaged using really weird techniques! I felt so relaxed during the massage despite the intense pain and tickling at points. Leeann, on the other hand, was yelping of pain throughout the first 20 minutes.
I enjoyed the massage so much that I went to go get another one the next day with Paul, Madeline, and Anne. When a two-hour massage costs 450 Baht, or 15 USD, it is hard to resist getting them again and again! We went to the Pinklao location of Healthland this time, because it is much closer to Mahidol (but still not really close). I had a slightly different experience. The masseuse used different techniques, but the basic structure of the massage was the same.
The next Friday, Leeann and I wanted to go shopping, but found out that they place we were headed was close while we were in the taxi on the way there. We decided to hit up Healthland Pinklao again. This time, we got foot reflexology treatments. It was a little over $8 USD for one hour! The foot reflexology was amazing, I was so relaxed and felt refreshed after that. I also got a massage that weekend at one of the floating markets, but it was not nearly as nice.
I have officially decided after so much massage and relaxation, that what I am going to miss most about Thailand is the affordable massages.

No comments:

Post a Comment