Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cocktails and Cabaret


On Wednesday night, Pooja, Leeann, Mariah, Olivia and I went out for a night on the town. We started out with some delicious pizza at a little Italian place in Bangkok. It actually tasted like real, western pizza and was for sure the best pizza I have had so far in Asia. 
Then, we headed up to the Skybar, where The Hangover 2 was filmed. I have never seen The Hangover 2, but hopefully I will recognize the bar if I do see it! The bar is on the 63rd floor of the Lebua Hotel. I don’t think the whole building is a hotel, because that would be a a lot of rooms. The bar is completely open air and situated on the edge of the roof of the hotel. The view was amazing; I could see all of Bangkok so clearly! I think it was definitely better (and scarier) than Marina Bay sands in Singapore. I ordered a ‘Pink on the Roof’ and sipped it while enjoying views of the Chao Praya River and all of Bangkok.
Next we grabbed a cab and headed over to the Calypso Cabaret at the Asia Hotel to see a show. Cabarets here in Thailand are a little different than those in america. In Thailand, all the dancers are boys; some are boys dressed up like girls, some are boys dressed like boys, and some are ‘ladyboys’, or transvestides. We ended up getting front row seats; they were some of the only ones left in the theatre, so we were really lucky. The show was very entertaining and funny. Some of the ladyboys were so convincing looking, I couldn’t believe they were every boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment