Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rolling Through the Last Day in Singapore



Blair and Leeann in front of the Skate Rental shop.


Sunday was our last day in Singapore! I cannot believe how fast the time went. Luckily, I felt really good about the activities I had accomplished up until then, and didn’t feel a need to scramble to do anything last minute. I decided spend my last day rollerblading at East Coast Park with Isabella, Michaela, Mariah, Blair, and Leeann. East Coast Park is literally on the complete opposite side of Singapore from NUS, so it was a little tricky to get to. However, we were able to use our Singapore Public Transportation smarts to navigate. Once there, we ate at the local Hawker center. I had carrot cake, which is not actually cake, it’s a meal! It’s a Singaporean dish that is sort of like an omelet with radishes in it. It was very tasty but very filling; I couldn’t finish the whole thing! 

East Coast Park stretches along the East Coast of Singapore (can you believe it?)
Then we went to find ourselves some rollerblades. We set off in the wrong direction, went back, went back the other way again, considered going kayaking, and finally walked about a mile to the rollerblade rental shop. At least we got a tour of East Coast Park on the way. East Coast Park was unlike anything I had seen in Singapore thus far. It was almost - dare I say - a little bit dirty! It was absolutely great by US standards, but there was a little trash in the ocean. People were camping and picnicking everywhere; it looked like a fun place to spend weekends. In addition to rollerblade rentals, there were bikes, water sport equipment, kayaks, and more! There was even a ‘cable ski park’ which is a big lake where you can water ski with cable that are not attached to boats.
Rollerblading was so much fun! Feeling a nice breeze was a welcome change from the blistering heat, but we were still hot and tired soon enough. We rolled into a McDonald’s for some refreshing ice cream. I got a Banana Crunch McFlurry? I don’t know if those are an asian thing, or if they have sprung up in the United States since the last time I got a McFlurry, but it was new to me (and delicious!) After some more rolling around we traded our skates back in for shoes and went back to NUS to get ready for our farewell dinner.
Ordering at McDonalds with our rollerblades on!



Enjoying my rollerblades!

We had dinner at a peranakan restaurant at a very nice country club. The food was delicious, but very spicy! We said goodbye to Dr. Quek and gave Sos Fuf the video that Pooja and I had complied for her as a thank you gift. Then a bunch of us headed to Alexius’s house. Alexius had kindly opened up his home to the SEAS group for a celebratory last night in Singapore. We had some yummy desserts and played fishbowl. It was so incredibly nice of him to host us and give us a relaxing last night in Singapore!
Unfortunately, I hadn’t started packing yet. So when I got back at 1 in the morning I knew I was going to have a long night ahead of me. It was worth it to stay busy during our last few days though!

No comments:

Post a Comment