Saturday, June 23, 2012

Marina Barrage and Singapore at Sunset



Saturday afternoon we had a program field trip to the Marina Barrage, which is a giant water conservation and purification project on the coast of Singapore. The museum and area were interesting, but we were all exhausted and were not the most attentive students. In Singapore, everything (especially what the government is in charge of) seems unreal in compared to the American version. Museums are a prime example, and this museum did not disappoint. From a wall made of recycled water bottle, to floor tiles that responded to your movements and interactive computer exhibits sitting on top of waterfalls, I was continually in awe. At this point, I should be used to it, and I did expect it, but everything is so overdone and perfectly pristine, I can't help but marvel at all of it over and over again.

A view of the Singapore skyline and the reservoir 

Singaporeans head to Marina Barrage to have picnics and fly kites!

Afterwards I went with Heather, Sarah, Lisa, and Helena to the top of Marina Bay Sands hotel to watch the sunset. We had been saving this event for the end, to cap off our time in Singapore, and it turned out to be a great decision to save it for that last free evening. The views of the city and the port of Singapore were phenomenal, absolutely breathtaking.  A major part of the Singapore skyline up until that point had been the Sands hotel, with the giant boat across the top; it was just unreal to view the city from atop the boat.
Singapore Skyline from atop Marina Bay Sands - before sunset

Singapore skyline from atop Marina Bay Sands  - after sunset

View of the Port of Singapore, Marina Barrage, and the new Gardens by the Bay from atop Marina Bay Sands.

Saturday night also happened to be the night that the National day performance was being rehearsed. Therefore, we got a birds eye view of various boat formations, military helicopters carrying a giant Singapore flag through the air, and towards the end, fireworks! Moreover, military planes were practicing the flyovers right on top of us. We were so close, we could see the flames coming out of the engine and I my ears hurt even after jamming my fingers into them as soon as I saw the planes approaching. If I couldn’t see the dancers practicing below us, I would have thought I was in a war zone. 

Military helicopters carrying the Singapore flag across the Singapore skyline
The beginning of fireworks shooting off from the Nation Stadium
After peacefully enjoying the sunset, Heather, Lisa, Helena, and I went to grab some dinner at a nearby Hawker center. I had some delicious Muslim food called Prata. The atmosphere was lively and the weather was beautiful. On our way to grab some of the traditional Singapore ‘brick’ ice cream sandwiches, we noticed a show getting ready to start at the Esplanade outdoor amphitheater. We got our ice cream, took our seats, and enjoyed a fantastic dance show followed by a B-Boy showcase. I was so excited to see some local dance. All of the hip-hop and modern dance crews were great, but my favorite was a troop from Melbourne. They wore black sequined hoodies that zipped up to cover their faces and had the most incredible technique! I was in awe! The night was a perfect way to wrap up our time in Singapore, and made me so sad to leave such an incredible place.

No comments:

Post a Comment