Sunday, July 22, 2012

Weekend Market


On my first Sunday in Bangkok I headed to the Chatachuk weekend market with Leeann, Brenna, and Mariah. The market is in a way just what it sounds like, a market that is only open on the weekends. But it is so much more than that. First of all, it is enormous! You could probably be there from 6 am to 6 pm all weekend and still not see it all. We hoped off the Skytrain and headed right into the market to shop! 
The market is essentially a large collection of long stalls with vendors squeezed inside. You can buy anything at the market, absolutely anything! From fine Thai handicraft to pirated movies, jewelry, animals, you name it! Luckily, in the first set of stalls we entered, the vendors were selling scarfs, wooden carvings, and other Thai items that a tourist would find entertaining (or at least we did). I bought scarfs (my count is up to about 9 now), and some gifts for my family and friends. 
The next sets of stalls we went into were not so great. Most vendors were selling mens clothing. We decided to head back after only exploring a tiny fraction of the market because we weren’t having great luck with picking stalls. It was still amazing and overwhelming in a good way though. Later I learned that the market has a map that accompanies it, to show which stalls sell which items. I guess I should have done my research beforehand!

No comments:

Post a Comment