Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thai Boxing


On Friday we had Thai boxing class hosted by a professional boxer and a younger man who did Thai boxing at MUIC. I didn’t really know what made Thai boxing so different from other types of boxing that I have seen before, and I am still not sure I know exactly what makes it different. 
We started out with some stretches and basic techniques. I was really excited to try my moves out on a partner once he started teaching us the combat techniques. Maili was my partner for most of the time, but I floated around so that I could attack other people as well. The techniques are hard to describe in writing, but there was definitely a focus on self-defense and keeping the body’s center of gravity close to the ground. I thought it was tons of fun to use my boxing moves on the others and combine the different techniques in combat, I tried not to hurt anyone too much though!

Here is a fun video entitled Thai Boxing v. Taekwando, so that you can see what the sport is all about!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8VnFb5KFj0

No comments:

Post a Comment