Sunday, July 22, 2012

Friday Market


Every friday at Mahidol there is a big street food/clothes/accessories/everything else you need market, known as the Friday Market! We spent about 15 minutes just walking through the long rows of stalls selling everything from durian and lychee to pad thai, meat, doughnuts (which are a big thing here?), cakes, and more! After taking it all in, I decided to go back and get some noodle dish, a pork sausage on a stick, doughnuts for later, and some sort of vegetable patty. The pork sausage was not my favorite, but the noodles and vegetable patty were delicious! and everything was about 30 baht, which is the equivalent of 1 US dollar! The doughnuts were 8 for 20 baht, which means they were less than 7 cents a piece! After enjoying our food we noticed that there was another section with clothes, jewelry, and accessories galore for very low prices! Unfortunately, I was all out of baht and did have a chance to get to an ATM, so I was stuck just looking. However, I vowed to come back the next week with some spending money, and I did. The next week we were all so excited to go back to the Friday Market, but when we got to the place it had been located the week before, it was no where to be found. Upset, we went looking for a new place to have lunch, and luckily stumbled across the market set up in a new location! I had Satay, which is seasoned meat on a stick and then was ready to go shopping! It is hard to shop there because you can’t really try things on, but I managed to find things that I thought/hoped would work. I came back to my room with a dress, 3 shirts, and a belt; I got all of it for less than 30 US dollars! Lucky for me, everything fit really well, except for one shirt. The shirt doesn’t fit perfectly, but I could still wear it, or give it too my sister. So I feel very satisfied with my purchases from the Friday Market! I am sad that we will be on a trip next friday, and won’t get to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment