Sunday, July 22, 2012

Final Thoughts on Singapore


I actually never thought I would say this, but I didn’t want to leave Singapore. I was expecting a big city that was clean and where I would get caned for chewing gum. What I got was a wonderfully unique city unlike anything in the United States where I could actually chew gum (just not buy it or stick it places) and do a million other fun and enlightening activities and have experiences that I will never forget.
The city was clean, amazingly clean for such a large city. It reminded me of Town Square in Southlake, TX on a much, much larger scale. The MRT (subway) can take you just about anywhere you want to go for less than two dollars. I always felt safe. I never felt nervous walking around by myself. I never felt a need to clutch my purse to my body more than usual (Of course I wasn’t doing anything stupid, liking walking by myself very late, or going to places I shouldn’t). It’s almost like living in a fantasy land. I still don’t know how such an enormous place is so clean and safe all the time.
The cultural spots were all new and interesting experiences. Temples, mosques, and cathedrals were everywhere. Chinatown, Arab Street, Holland Village, and Little Indian were ironically all exactly what I would have expected. The museums were interesting, informative, and well put together. Anything put together by the government was just ridiculous, in a good way.
On the non-academic side, Singapore is such a fun place to be. Clarke Quay is just inexplicably incredible. The giant lighted umbrellas protecting club-goers from rain, the colorful lights reflecting against the river, the seemingly unlimited possibilities to make the night memorable. The beach party at Sentosa felt like someone picked me up and put me in a movie. It was something I didn’t realize could actually exist in real life. Singaporeans, expats, and tourists celebrating on a beach with DJ, pool, girls spinning fire, and much more. Strolling downtown, at night, when the hot sticky air turned into a cool breeze by the river. Zouk, the Butter Factory, Timbre, all provide unforgettable memories and experiences that I am not sure can be toped in America.
Singapore is a city of surprises around every corner. I am still not sure if I could live there, because of the housing situation, but it is close to my definition of a perfect city. I will, without a doubt, hop on the first chance I get to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment